Cambridge English Dictionary & Thesaurus
Search the Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary & Thesaurus, the Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary, and the Cambridge Business English Dictionary all at one time.
Then, choose the British, American, or Business tab to see the entry you want.
Understand the meaning
Clear, simple and accurate definitions using easy-to-understand language: check the definition for polyhedron. More advanced meanings are given for more common words: check all the meanings for nut.
Find the right meaning
Use the guidewords to identify the meaning that you are looking for. Look at the More Results panel next to the entry for hand.
Learn how to use the word
Thousands of natural example sentences that show how the word is used in context: The entry for the verb protest shows that it is used with the preposition against.
British and American pronunciation
Hear the words spoken online with thousands of recordings: Try listening to the two different pronunciations for the word sanctuary.
Also available as a book
Get the Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary from Cambridge ELT
- 'Word partner' boxes show you how to use words in the most natural way.
- 'Extra help' section includes maps, illustrations and photos.
- 'Lets Talk' section focuses specifically on spoken English.
- 'Common mistakes' boxes help you avoid typical errors.
- Thesaurus panels help you widen your vocabulary.