abbreviationnoun [ C ]uk /əˌbriː.viˈeɪ.ʃən/ us /əˌbriː.viˈeɪ.ʃən/
- There is a list of abbreviations near the beginning of the book.
- What does the abbreviation WHO stand for?
- Please use the abbreviation 'cm' for 'centimetres', without any full stop after it.
- Sorry - could you explain what some of these abbreviations mean in your letter?
- We generally use the abbreviation 'MP' instead of writing out 'Member of Parliament' in full.
InitialsAn initial is the first letter of a word. We often use initials to refer to the names of countries and organisations: …
AcronymsAcronyms are words which are formed from the first letters of other words, and which are pronounced as full words. Examples of acronyms: …