addernoun [ C ]uk /ˈæd.ər/ us /ˈæd.ɚ/
Examples from literature
- But he never moved his hand, and the adder swiftly slid from off the stone and sought some hiding place in the loose rocks at the cliff foot, and the priest watched it go, motionless.
- But they exhibit the greatest caution in laying hold of adders, even though they have never before seen one, and will endeavour first to bruise their heads, so as to avoid being bitten.
- Place it under the door post, and no snake nor adder can ever enter thy house.
- The adders hissed at him as he went by, and the bright parrots flew screaming from branch to branch.
- There are many other wonderful things to be accomplished with the skin of an adder, or snake, besides the preceding.