amphoranoun [ C ]uk /ˈæm.fər.ə/ us /ˈæm.fɚ.ə/ plural amphorae uk /-iː/ us amphoras
Examples from literature
- At the Louvre in Paris there is a very famous Greek amphora which I hope you will see some day.
- The amphora held about nine gallons.
- The worthy merchant began to repent his choice, as amphora after amphora was pierced and emptied.
- The young woman's milk-can, a great amphora of hammered brass, stood some way off upon the sward.
- There were jewels and coins, candelabra for unavailing light, and wine hardened in the amphorae for a prolongation of agonized life.