the body politicnoun [ S ]uk /ˌbɒd.i ˈpɒl.ɪ.tɪk/ us /ˌbɑː.di ˈpɑː.lə.tɪk/ formal
Examples from literature
- All the individual members of the body politic will thus live comfortably and well.
- He pronounced prejudice—whether religious, racial, patriotic, political—the destroyer of the body politic.
- The body politic of Russia contains about six millions of gifted and undoubtedly industrious Jews.
- The bonds which hold together the body politic are not sufficient.
- When, therefore, women entered formally into the body politic of these United States, they entered into a place of power already familiar to them in many of its activities.