bon motnoun [ C ]uk /ˌbɒn ˈməʊ/ us /ˌbɑːn ˈmoʊ/ plural bons mots /ˌbɒnˈməʊ/ /ˌbɑːnˈmoʊ/ formal
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
Examples from literature
- Jests and bon mots followed each other in rapid succession until the arrival of the carriage recalled to our faces an expression of official earnestness.
- She avenged herself, in her drawing-room, by the biting bon mots which she hurled at Napoleon and his family, and which were of course faithfully repeated to the first consul.
- The last great speech in Parliament, or the newest bon mot, were equally acceptable and equally relished.
- The last new song or 'bon mot' and the gossip of the day were the sole topics of conversation in the Queen's parties.
- You are full of jokes and bon mots.