cantatanoun [ C ]uk /kænˈtɑː.tə/ us /kənˈtɑː.t̬ə/
Examples from literature
- Besides these he composed several cantatas for church use, and several instrumental pieces.
- For these resources he composed a succession of cantatas, every feast day in the ecclesiastical year being represented by from one to five separate works.
- Here, among other works, he composed fifty Italian cantatas, usually consisting of two airs with recitative.
- Mrs. Julian Marshall, born at Rome, has produced several orchestral works, as well as several cantatas, an operetta, a nocturne for clarinet and orchestra, and a number of songs.
- Two oratorios, several cantatas, about sixty original songs for single voice and piano, and very many other writings of a literary and musical kind.