capillarynoun [ C ]uk /kəˈpɪl.ər.i/ us /kəˈpɪl.ɚ.i/ specialized
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- If the capillaries are injured the blood merely oozes.
- In the lungs this dark blood is spread out in very minute capillaries and exposed to the air.
- The capillaries are the minute, hair-like tubes, with very thin walls, which form the connection between the ending of the finest arteries and the beginning of the smallest veins.
- The duty of the heart is to deliver the blood to the capillaries.
- The veins commence by minute roots in the capillaries, which are everywhere distributed through the body, and gradually increase in size, until they unite and become large trunks, conveying the dark blood to the heart.