carpentrynoun [ U ]uk /ˈkɑː.pɪn.tri/ us /ˈkɑːr.pɪn.tri/
Examples from literature
- Everyone kept his plantation under fence and men who were old but strong and who had some knowledge of carpentry were sent out to keep the fence in repair and often to build new ones.
- He tried faithfully not to slight his books, but there was no use pretending he did not enjoy his carpentry.
- The handling and care of tools, simple carpentry, printing, photography, the making of an outdoor gymnasium and a miniature theatre, are among the topics included.
- The more you see of Madam How's masonry and carpentry, the clumsier man's work will look to you.
- Then the idea of an escape occurred to me, and as I had some proficiency in carpentry, I decided to obtain tools by proposing to make some chairs for the jailer.