catchwordnoun [ C ]uk /ˈkætʃ.wɜːd/ us /ˈkætʃ.wɝːd/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- A hundred catchwords, a thousand raised voices, and not one cool head to realize that war is not a game.
- A navy "for defence only" is a popular catchword.
- But even a bad book can be a measure of the time, showing the ideas current and the catchwords that were thought likely to attract the reading public.
- Home was the catchword of the times.
- Watchful waiting was the watchword—or the catchword.