ceaseverb [ I or T ]uk /siːs/ us /siːs/ formal
B2 to stop something:
- We expect these practices to cease forthwith.
- He claims that prejudice against homosexuals would cease overnight if all the gay stars in the country were honest about their sexuality.
- This barbarity must cease!
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
- all good things (must) come to an end idiom
- and have done with it idiom
- be over the hump idiom
- knock off (sth)
- lay sth to rest idiom
- lay the ghost of sth (to rest) idiom
- leave it at that idiom
- leave off (sth/doing sth)
- the curtain falls on sth idiom
- to the bitter end idiom
- top sth off