central nervous systemnoun [ C usually singular ]uk /ˌsen.trəl ˈnɜː.vəs ˌsɪs.təm/ us /ˌsen.trəl ˈnɝː.vəs ˌsɪs.təm/ abbreviation CNS
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- In this vertebral canal we find the trunk part of the central nervous system, the spinal cord.
- The first sketch of a central nervous system in the human embryo presents the same very simple type as in the other vertebrates.
- These pass into the central nervous system and there excite neurons which in turn discharge impulses into the cerebrum.
- This acts as a connecting medium between the outside world and the central nervous system, which is composed of the brain and spinal cord.
- This shows that some part of the central nervous system is necessary to reflex action.