charity noun (GIVING)
B1 [ C or U ] a system of giving money, food, or help free to those who are in need because they are ill, poor, or have no home, or any organization that has the purpose of providing money or helping in this way:
- The lawyer asked the jury to take cognizance of the defendant's generosity in giving to charity.
- 5% of our profits are covenanted to charity.
- She directs a large charity.
- An anonymous businesswoman donated one million dollars to the charity.
- Thanks to a large gift from an anonymous donor, the charity was able to continue its work.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words