charnel housenoun [ C ]uk /ˈtʃɑː.nəl ˌhaʊs/ us /ˈtʃɑːr.nəl ˌhaʊs/ old use
Examples from literature
- By Monday the city reeked with the smell of a charnel house and pestilence was in the air.
- Indians always removed their dead, yet seemingly this place was a perfect charnel house, heaped with slain.
- On the evening after a frightful battle, they were all three in the charnel house where the dead bodies are brought.
- The perfume of them sickened Anna, as the odor of a charnel house might have done.
- The summit stopped being a battle field to become a charnel house.