chitinnoun [ U ]uk /ˈkaɪ.tɪn/ us /ˈkaɪ.tən/ specialized
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
Examples from literature
- Chitin, a white horny substance found in the exoskeleton of several invertebrate animals.
- It would be soft but for the chitin, as the horny substance is called.
- The whole outer shell of the insect is made of the horny chitin.
- There is no chitin in the skin between the segments.
- They are worked by powerful muscles, and are supported, like a fan, by ribs of chitin, which may be accompanied by air-tubes, blood-channels, and nerves.