citynoun [ C ]uk /ˈsɪt.i/ us /ˈsɪt̬.i/
city noun [ C ] (TOWN)
Many of the world's cities have populations of more than five million.
The city of Ely has about 15,000 inhabitants.
› mainly US UK usually city council the government of a city:
- The traffic congestion in the city gets even worse during the summer.
- Their house is in a very desirable area of the city.
- For me, Venice is easily the most beautiful city in Europe.
- Many farm labourers moved to the towns and cities to look for work.
- Mexico City is one of the most densely populated cities in the world .
city noun [ C ] (FINANCIAL CENTRE)
the City [ S ] UK
He works in the City.
a City analyst
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: