clearingnoun [ C ]uk /ˈklɪə.rɪŋ/ us /ˈklɪr.ɪŋ/
Examples from literature
- All around them the forests, the clearings, the river, covered by the silent veil of night, seemed to wake up and listen to her words in attentive stillness.
- At last, he came to a clearing where fire had eaten its way and charred the ruins of the forest.
- At the close of the fifth day our night halt was in a deserted log cabin at the edge of an unfinished clearing in the heart of the forest.
- In a few minutes we were sure to come to a settler's cabin, a log barn, or a clearing.
- We found the sled track again, leading into the woods at the northwest of the clearing.