counterfoilnoun [ C ]uk /ˈkaʊn.tə.fɔɪl/ us /ˈkaʊn.t̬ɚ.fɔɪl/ UK US also UK stub
Examples from literature
- But, you see, most of my counterfoils are blank!
- He took an opportunity, when the young man's back was turned, of examining his counterfoils.
- I do not think he believed me, even when I showed him the counterfoil of my cheque-book, and the amount of a remittance I sent to Robert next day.
- Idly I picked up the cheque-book—and absently fingered the leaves—then my eye caught a counterfoil where I had chanced to open it.
- The young woman turned over a sheaf of counterfoils.