courtyardnoun [ C ]uk /ˈkɔːt.jɑːd/ us /ˈkɔːrt.jɑːrd/
Examples from literature
- A loud noise of feet and voices came pouring into the courtyard.
- The firing had ceased and the courtyard was curiously still and empty.
- The only thing she did not like was the courtyard's dampness.
- The stone pavement of the spacious courtyard was in some places partly covered with moss, and a few weeds had sprung up in the corners, and along the edges by the walls.
- Within half an hour we passed under a stone archway and found ourselves snug in the haven of our merchant's courtyard.