- Many people have become cynical about the stage-managed debates between politicians which regularly appear on television.
- 15 years in the teaching profession had left him world-weary and cynical.
- "He's only pretending to like classical music so that Emma will go out with him." "Don't be so cynical - you don't know that."
- I thought the actor's appeal was very moving, but my husband saw it as a cynical attempt to get publicity.
- How did my trusting little child suddenly turn into such an angry, cynical teenager?
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
adverb uk /ˈsɪn.ɪ.kəl.i/ us /ˈsɪn.ɪ.kəl.i/