B2 [ U ] the belief in freedom and equality between people, or a system of government based on this belief, in which power is either held by elected representatives or directly by the people themselves:
- A strong opposition is vital to a healthy democracy.
- There cannot be true democracy without reform of the electoral system.
- Sweden is often held up as an example of a successful social democracy.
- The recent free elections mark the next step in the country's progress towards democracy.
- Western governments should be giving more aid to the emerging democracies of the Third World.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words