dependent clausenoun [ C ]uk /dɪˌpen.dənt ˈklɔːz/ us /dɪˌpen.dənt ˈklɑːz/ specialized
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- After a verb of wishing, the subjunctive is regularly used in the dependent clause.
- He does not giggle nor prattle, nor launch into a long and involved explanation with halting, dependent clauses.
- In Latin the law of tense sequence is obeyed with considerable regularity, especially when an indicative in the principal clause is followed by a subjunctive in the dependent clause.
- The subjunctive is used in a dependent clause to express the purpose of the action in the principal clause.
- The tense of the verb in a dependent clause varies with the tense of the principal verb: as, I know he will come.