Until about 1991, the Eastern bloc was the Soviet Union and the communist countries of eastern Europe.
- On the eastern horizon, a huge cloud of smoke from burning oil tanks stretched across the sky.
- We witnessed a remarkable chain of events in eastern Europe in 1989.
- The hurricane is centered over the eastern Caribbean.
- It's in the poorer, underdeveloped eastern region of the country that the biggest problems exist.
- They are the single most successful eastern arts group in the West.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words