effervesceverb [ I ]uk /ˌef.əˈves/ us /-ɚ-/ specialized
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- If the solution effervesces too strongly, dilute it.
- If you pour an acid and an alkali together—like vinegar and soda—they will "fizz" or effervesce, and at the same time neutralize or "kill" each other.
- Stir soda into milk until it effervesces and then add to flour.
- Tests. —The carbonates effervesce with an acid.
- The water has a strong taste of iron, and when fresh drawn, effervesces on being mixed with sugar, wine, or other acids.