encourageverb [ T ]uk /ɪnˈkʌr.ɪdʒ/ us /ɪnˈkɝː.ɪdʒ/
They've always encouraged me in everything I've wanted to do.
- The new teaching methods encourage children to think for themselves.
- We encourage the victims to talk freely about their experiences.
- Instead of simply punishing them, the system encourages offenders to modify their behaviour.
- His tutor encouraged him to read widely in philosophy.
- The city council is encouraging jobsharing to make it easier for parents of young children to work.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words