endotheliumnoun [ C ]uk /ˌen.dəʊˈθiː.li.əm/ us /ˌen.doʊˈθiː.li.əm/ plural endothelia specialized
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- A bursa is a closed sac lined by endothelium and containing synovia.
- Changes were found in the endothelium of the blood vessels, the axis cylinders of nerves, and the muscles.
- The endothelium over these plates often disappears, leaving them exposed to the blood-stream.
- They show great variation in type, partly because of the number of different kinds of endothelium from which they are derived, and partly because the new connective tissue which is formed is liable to undergo transformation into other tissues.
- Thrombosis is more common in veins than in arteries, because slowing of the blood-stream and irritation of the endothelium of the vessel wall are, owing to the conditions of the venous circulation, more readily induced in veins.