extensornoun [ C ]uk /ɪkˈstent.sər/ us /ɪkˈsten.sɚ/ specialized
Examples from literature
- It is more marked in the extensor than in the flexor groups of muscles.
- Some had their sleeves pushed up to the elbow to exhibit their compact flexors and extensors.
- The muscles which bend the limbs are called flexors while those which straighten them are known as extensors.
- Volar flexion is limited by the extensors of the phalanges.
- Wasting of the muscles, especially the extensors, in the vicinity of the joint is a constant accompaniment of arthritis.