fieldernoun [ C ]uk /ˈfiːl.dər/ us /ˈfiːl.dɚ/
Examples from literature
- A fielder is any one of the nine fielding players.
- A team, to win, must have hitters as well as fielders, and it is therefore usual to fill up the outfield with good batters, even at the expense of a slight weakness in fielding.
- As fielders they were superior to the team that won the championship.
- He was also a good batter for a pitcher, and a fast fielder.
- When a runner is caught between first and second or second and third bases, the centre fielder should get in line with the play, back of second base.