fire escapenoun [ C ]uk /ˈfaɪər ɪˌskeɪp/ us /ˈfaɪr ɪˌskeɪp/
Examples from literature
- By using the fire escape of the building next door to the flat house, Nick got to the roof.
- His first impulse was to descend the fire escapes in turn and look below for further trace of her going.
- Then the two boys rushed to the balcony on which their front windows opened, and whence the fire escapes led down to the streets.
- We must try the fire escape! shouted Mark.
- Without a word, she ran to the open window and jumped out on the fire escape.