free versenoun [ U ]uk /ˌfriː ˈvɜːs/ us /ˌfriː ˈvɝːs/
Examples from literature
- Amy writes poetry, free verse.
- At times he thought of taking to free verse, but the results of his efforts did not satisfy him.
- He is an experimenter in free verse forms as well as in impressions.
- The objection to most of the "free verse" that is being written to-day is that in form it is neither delightful nor memorable.
- Why, father, you think Ben is a radical, but he's the most hidebound conservative about some things—much worse than you—about free verse, for instance.