French polishnoun [ U ]uk /ˌfrentʃ ˈpɒl.ɪʃ/ us /ˌfrentʃ ˈpɑː.lɪʃ/ UK
verb [ T ] uk us
Examples from literature
- Another good black polish is obtained by gas-black being applied to the rubber after wetting with French polish, the cover being then put on and worked in the usual manner.
- By repeated oiling and shellacking one produces a French polish that is very durable and elastic.
- Have beside you linseed-oil in one receptacle, and some French polish in another.
- If I only hadn't used that abominable French polish this morning.
- Nothing is so good for the best class of work as polishing entirely with French polish.