gender noun (SEX)
- She felt that her destiny had been shaped by her gender.
- The sample of people questioned was drawn from the university's student register and stratified by age and gender.
- Male actors were used to play characters of both genders.
- Forensic scientists can tell the gender of the victim from the skeleton.
- There is an even gender ratio within the company.
gender noun (GRAMMAR)
- Gender, of course, isn't an issue in the English language.
- I so often get the gender wrong when I'm trying to speak French.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Nouns and genderMost English nouns do not have grammatical gender. Nouns referring to people do not have separate forms for men (male form) and women (female form). However, some nouns traditionally had different forms. Nowadays, people usually prefer more neutral forms. …