illustrationnoun [ C or U ]uk /ˌɪl.əˈstreɪ.ʃən/ us /ˌɪl.əˈstreɪ.ʃən/
illustration noun [ C or U ] (PICTURE)
a full-page illustration
- The illustrations show monstrous beasts with bodies like bears and heads like tigers.
- You will be expected to assist the editor with the selection of illustrations for the book.
- Encyclopedias on CD-ROM include sound, illustrations and simple animations.
- The book contains 25 colour illustrations.
- The description was accompanied by a wonderful illustration.
illustration noun [ C or U ] (EXAMPLE)
- The president's budget is a vivid illustration of how much the political landscape has changed over the past two years.
- One illustration of how severe the problem is, in this clinic an estimated two out of every five pregnant women are HIV positive.