(all) by itself
(all) to itself
- The company has made a valiant effort in the last two years to make itself more efficient.
- Press this button and the video will automatically tune itself to the next channel.
- The kitten curled itself into a ball .
- The government must commit itself to improving healthcare.
- The city is trying to promote itself as a tourist centre.
Pronouns: reflexive (myself, themselves, etc.)Reflexive pronouns end in -self or -selves. They refer back to the subject forms of personal pronouns (underlined in the example below): …
Reflexive pronouns for same subject and objectWe often use reflexive pronouns when the subject and the object of the verb refer to the same person or thing: …
Reflexive pronouns + by meaning aloneWe often use reflexive pronouns with by to mean ‘alone’ or ‘without any help’: …