Turn left at the lights.
- Turn left at the traffic lights, and you'll see the hospital straight ahead.
- To divide by ten, move the decimal point one place to the left.
- Our house is the third from the end on the left.
- He has no sight in his left eye.
- Hold your fork in your left hand and your knife in your right hand.
left noun (DIRECTION)
Take the first/second/third on the left.
- My house is on the left.
- I sat to her left.
- Take the road on the left.
- The picture is lower on the left.
- I moved quickly to the left.
left noun (POLITICS)
the left also the Left [ S, + sing/pl verb ]
- The journal is broadly sympathetic with the left.
- He has always been on the left of the party.
- Parties of the left united to defeat the measure.
- Her politics are of the left.
- The left is generally sympathetic to their cause.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words