We went to get ourselves something to eat.
(all) by ourselves
(all) to ourselves
- Against all probability we found ourselves in the same hotel.
- It was so noisy that we couldn't hear ourselves speak.
- We amused ourselves by watching the passers-by.
- Let's not trouble ourselves about the precise details at the moment.
- We must ensure that we do not set ourselves goals that are not attainable.
Pronouns: reflexive (myself, themselves, etc.)Reflexive pronouns end in -self or -selves. They refer back to the subject forms of personal pronouns (underlined in the example below): …
Reflexive pronouns for same subject and objectWe often use reflexive pronouns when the subject and the object of the verb refer to the same person or thing: …
Reflexive pronouns + by meaning aloneWe often use reflexive pronouns with by to mean ‘alone’ or ‘without any help’: …