pencilnoun [ C or U ]uk /ˈpen.səl/ us /ˈpen.səl/
pens and pencils
a pencil sharpener
- Please write in ink, not in pencil.
- It's in pencil, so you can rub it out if you need to.
- My pencil is blunt - I'll have to sharpen it.
- If you spot any mistakes in the article just mark them with a pencil.
- Are there enough pencils to go round?
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
penciladjective [ before noun ]uk /ˈpen.səl/ us /ˈpen.səl/
pencilverb [ T ]uk /ˈpen.səl/ us /ˈpen.səl/ -ll- or US usually -l-
› to write something with a pencil
adjective US usually penciled uk /ˈpen.səld/ us /ˈpen.səld/