prosecution noun (LEGAL)
the prosecution [ S, + sing/pl verb ]
- The prosecution has to establish his guilt beyond reasonable doubt.
- Her lawyer accused the prosecution of founding its case on insufficient evidence.
- This afternoon the prosecution will call its star witness.
- During the trial, the prosecution was accused of withholding crucial evidence from the defence.
- The key witness for the prosecution was offered police protection after she received death threats.
- The loophole has allowed hundreds of drink-drivers to avoid prosecution.
- Those kids were lucky, they only narrowly escaped prosecution.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: