purchaseverb [ T ]uk /ˈpɜː.tʃəs/ us /ˈpɝː.tʃəs/ formal
B2 to buy something:
Except under clearly defined circumstances, it is illegal in Britain for a company to purchase its own shares.
- The land has been purchased by the army.
- Members will have the opportunity to purchase additional shares in the company at a big discount.
- Tickets can be purchased in advance from the box office.
- People wishing to purchase advance tickets should ring our booking line.
- Life insurance is obligatory when purchasing a house.
purchase noun (BUYING)
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: