railroadnoun [ C ]uk /ˈreɪl.rəʊd/ us /ˈreɪl.roʊd/ US UK railway, written abbreviation RR
- We see that freight railroads make good profits while rendering excellent service.
- The railroads have lost a lot of business to trucking companies.
- The bridge carries the railroad across the river.
- The book discusses the decline of the railroads in the United States.
- It was the worst railroad disaster in Indian history.
railroadverb [ T usually + adv/prep ]uk /ˈreɪl.rəʊd/ us /ˈreɪl.roʊd/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words