recognize verb (KNOW)
Do you recognize this song?
- He put on a large hat and glasses as a disguise and hoped no one would recognize him.
- His red hair and short stature made him easy to recognize.
- As we drew alongside the black car, I suddenly recognized my ex-boyfriend at the wheel.
- Many distant relatives, most of whom I hardly recognized, turned up for my brother's wedding.
- He'd completely changed - I didn't recognize him.
recognize verb (ACCEPT)
The international community has refused to recognize (= officially accept the existence of) the newly independent nation state.
- The country has de facto independence now, and it will soon be recognized de jure by the world's governments.
- His pre-eminence in his subject is internationally recognized.
- We need to recognize that we are now living in a plural society.
- Alcoholics often have to hit rock bottom before they recognize that they have a problem.
- Steiner was recognized as an original if unorthodox thinker.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: