refusalnoun [ C or U ]uk /rɪˈfjuː.zəl/ us /rɪˈfjuː.zəl/
Our request for permission to travel met with/received a flat/point-blank (= complete) refusal from the authorities.
- He made some fairly damning remarks about the government's refusal to deal with the problem.
- The University has docked lecturers' pay/wages by 20% because of their refusal to mark exam papers.
- The government has reiterated its refusal to compromise with terrorists.
- What do you infer from her refusal?
- My sister's selling her car and she's offered me first refusal on it.