respondverb [ I ]uk /rɪˈspɒnd/ us /rɪˈspɑːnd/
B2 to say or do something as a reaction to something that has been said or done:
How did she respond to the news?
[ + that ] When the tax office wrote to me demanding unpaid income tax, I responded that I had been working abroad since 1998.
respond to sth
- This disease doesn't generally respond to treatment.
- Terry was, as usual, slow to respond.
- She responded to his remarks with feigned amusement.
- The president responded angrily to the charge that she had lost touch with her country's people.
- She said how much she appreciated the overwhelming generosity of the public in responding to the appeal.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: