shall modal verb (FUTURE)
I shall never forget you.
- Unless the money is returned, we shall shortly be contacting our legal department.
- I can't afford a lawyer so I shall defend myself.
- I did meet him once and it was an experience I shall never forget.
- I shall list my objections to the plan in ascending order of importance.
- When we receive your instructions we shall act accordingly.
shall modal verb (SUGGEST)
A2 formal in US used, with "I" or "we", to make a suggestion:
shall modal verb (CERTAINLY WILL)
The school rules state that no child shall be allowed out of the school during the day, unless accompanied by an adult.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Will and shall: formWill and shall are modal verbs. They are used with the base form of the main verb (They will go; I shall ask her). Shall is only used for future time reference with I and we, and is more formal than will. …