a successful operation
a successful career
He's the author of several hugely successful children's books (= books which have been bought by a lot of people).
- You have to be tough to be successful in politics.
- During a successful business career, she accumulated a great amount of wealth.
- Well, who'd have thought Joey was going to become so successful?
- He was a successful businessman before becoming a writer.
- Our soldiers carried out a successful attack last night.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
adverb uk /səkˈses.fəl.i/ us /səkˈses.fəl.i/
- She manages to successfully combine family life with a career.
- Experts successfully managed to disarm the bomb.
- What the book does convey very successfully is the horror of war.
- Fighter planes have successfully bombed the enemy's main armoury.
- Throughout her career she has very successfully manipulated the media.