surroundingsnoun [ plural ]uk /səˈraʊn.dɪŋz/ us /səˈraʊn.dɪŋz/
B2 the place where someone or something is and the things that are in it:
- The brickwork will mellow over the years so that it blends with the surroundings.
- Absorbed in her work, she was totally oblivious of her surroundings.
- A good architect takes into account the building's surroundings.
- She used the map to discover where she was in relation to her surroundings.
- She was struck by the strangeness of her surroundings.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words