takeovernoun [ C ]uk /ˈteɪkˌəʊ.vər/ us /ˈteɪkˌoʊ.vɚ/
make a takeover bid for sth
- It has emerged that secret talks had been going on between the two companies before the takeover was announced.
- The bank fought off a takeover by another bank recently.
- The takeover battle is between two of America's industrial/retail giants .
- The company has decided not to go through with the takeover of its smaller rival.
- The company spent much effort in avoiding takeover bids from predatory competitors.