I wasn't sure whether you'd like it.
- He called for checks to discover whether corrupt officials are being bribed to connive in shoddy construction.
- The authorities debated whether to build a new car park.
- We need to consider whether the disadvantages of the plan outweigh the advantages.
- She asked the man sitting opposite whether he'd mind if she opened the window.
- She doubts whether she'll ever be able to fulfil her ambition.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
I doubt if, I don’t know whetherWe use if or whether to introduce clauses after verbs of doubting: …
If and whether: indirect questionsWe can use if or whether to report indirect yes-no questions and questions with or. If is more common than whether: …
Whether in indirect questionsWe use whether in indirect yes-no questions and questions with or. We can’t leave out whether (or if): …