wood noun (MATERIAL)
- He was chopping wood in the yard.
- The house was built of wood but faced with brick.
- A flute is made of wood or metal in three jointed sections.
- In cheap furniture, plastic is often used to simulate wood.
- Screw this piece of wood to the wall.
wood noun (GROUP OF TREES)
an oak wood
- The wood lies on the southern extremity of the estate.
- The cottage is situated in the middle of a wood at the end of a narrow potholed lane.
- From the top of the hill we could see our house and the woods beyond.
- The police searched the woods for the missing boy.
- We go for a ramble through the woods every Saturday.