writings [ plural ]
- Can you decipher the writing on this envelope?
- Her writing is full of passion and energy.
- My daughter is just starting to learn how to do joined-up writing at school.
- The writing on the tombstone was barely visible.
- This is a book that clearly explicates Marx's later writings.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Speech into writingBoth speech and writing can be formal or informal. Whether language is formal or informal depends on who our readers and listeners are, for what purpose we use the language and the situation in which we use it. For example, an official notice would be written in formal English, whereas the same information would be more commonly written informally by an individual in a less public situation: …